Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it’s all about food. Wait, okay…I take that back – it’s about giving thanks FOR the food. And family. And health. And anything else that makes your heart swell on this truly American holiday. We eat and drink…that’s it! No gifts, no religion. I love cooking the meal and since I’ve been doing it for so many years and they (aka my family) won’t let me change anything, everything runs very smoothly (other than the year the turkey was spoiled and we had to get Boston Market but that’s a whole other story.)
As much as I love all the traditional dishes, I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin pie. But I like pumpkin…a lot. And I LOVE tiramisu…a really lot. Classic tiramisù, one of Italy’s most popular desserts is made with eggs. This heavenly, decadent non egg recipe is simple to make and looks very elegant. Have a Happy Thanksgiving with your family and friends – and give thanks for everything that’s wonderful in your life!
- 1½ c. very strong coffee or espresso at room temperature
- ¼ c. Amaretto liquor (or Kahlua or Rum)
- 1 14 oz. package of lady fingers
- 1½ c. chilled whipping cream
- ¾ c. sugar
- 1 8 oz. container mascarpone cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
- ¼ tsp. of each of the following-cloves, cinnamon & nutmeg
- 2 oz. ginger snap cookies, crushed
- In a small bowl, combine the coffee and Amaretto.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the whipping cream and sugar at medium high speed until thick and then at high speed until peaks form and the mixtures has a stiff consistency.
- Add mascarpone, pumpkin and spices and beat just until smooth.
- Quickly dip each ladyfinger in the coffee and Amaretto mixture. Closely and evenly lay them side-by-side on the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Don’t let the ladyfingers sit too long in the liquid otherwise they’ll fall apart.
- Spread half of the cream filling over the ladyfingers and smooth.
- Repeat with another layer of the ladyfingers and cream.
- Sprinkle crushed ginger snaps on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 12-24 hours. Cut into squares and serve.